Sunday, April 3, 2011

SLO to Palm Springs and back


This weekend I had the chance to drive up and down the Southern part of California. Between Thursday to Sunday I drove from SLO to Palm Springs, Palm Springs to SB then back to Palm Springs, then back to SLO. This amount of time in my car allowed me to think about the state we live in and its view on agriculture.

One thing I noticed throughout my drives are that no one seems to know that California is in a drought. All the golf courses in the Palm Springs area where as green as Ireland after a rain, even on Friday when it was 100 degrees Fahrenheit (in Palm Springs). Not only does Californian seem to not notice that their state is in a drought, no one cares. Instead they- Southern Californians, are more interested in entertaining themselves through extra curricular activities. For example, golf, golf and some more golf.

It worries me that not enough people understand the impact that water has on our society. Water dictates what lives and dies. Without it one of California's biggest economies- Agriculture, can not survive.

I hope through this class that I can learn how to communicate to the general population the importance in taking part in agriculture and understanding the impacts it has on our daily lives.

1 comment:

  1. Great point about conservation of this natural resource. One of California's issues with water other than the limited amount and allocation of the resource, but also a lack of storage. If you are interested in more information check out CFBF.com

    ReplyDelete