WOW.
My first and only reaction I have to the video's I have seen about the E-6 Calf Ranch in Texas and their treatment towards their dairy calves. After the initial wow went away I was still shocked that the practices that were going on in the video- for example hitting calves on the head with hammer, were being done. Being a Dairy Science major at Cal Poly I feel as through that these events hit close to home. Working with cows and livestock in general it is hard to keep your cool all the time. However hitting calves is never appropriate at any level.
I have a couple suggestion for the man in charge of E-6 besides fire all of those men- in the video who hit the calves, get animal welfare in there and completely change his practices for dealing with calves. Video the active changes he is doing and make sure the public understands that an action of a few can hurt the many. That the actions of the men he fired are not how the majority of the Dairy Industry or general livestock industry treat their animals. He needs to talk about and show how animals really get treated on his ranch. And also say sorry.
What is unfortunate is that he will never be able to live down the action of his men because everyone will remember his ranch as the one who hits calves over the head with a hammer instead of euthanizing ethically. However to survived with his present work- E-6, he will have to show change the is occurring on his ranch and how the actions of those men will never happen again.
This type of crisis communication is something that no one should have to go through since their animal treatment should never have to be criticized.
Lastly I would have liked to see the media only should the unethical practices that have on a dairy- hitting the calves. Instead of showing dehorning also. Since dehorning is a common practice when dealing with cows and has to happen to keep everyone and every cow safe.
Either way I hope this gets figured out and presented to the country in a positive way at the end of the day since no one should have to go through this kind of scrutiny.
I personally thought that you made this post more personal by showing that you had a dairy background was great. It makes your point of view mean something to people who read it.
ReplyDeleteAllison Grayson
I think your suggestion on the owner video taping the chances he is making was a terrific idea. It will show people he is taking the issue seriously and that he has nothing to hide.
ReplyDelete