Last week I was traveling throughout New Jersey, Maryland and parts of New York for a sports tournament. Besides the weather and accents of the people the one other thing that really surprised me was there produce. The lettuce in salads, tomatoes on hamburgers and the general fruits and vegetables they had in the stores. It was AWFUL! I was shocked. I never thought about the produce in California and how good it was verse the rest of the country, however now I will never take the produce here for granted ever again. The lettuce in New York tastes old - that it had been traveling for a couple days to get there. And the tomatoes did not look right. I mean they were red and ripe, however did not have the California glow to them. I started thinking about the the North East, their agriculture, seasons, etc, etc. And I realized that in California we have it pretty good. Nice weather, great agriculture--among many other assets to our economy, and just in general the beauty that is all around us. There is no way to beat what we have here.
I just wanted to state this fact about how California grows produce for the rest of the country and nothing is as good as what we have here in California.
I <3 CA foods!
I totally know what you mean about the quality of produce in the eastern states! I have worked in the shipping industry for produce and I know about all the details and measures taken to get the produce to NY and such. It takes about 3-5 days depending on the driver to get the produce out there. So by the time it hits your plate its about 5 days old! WOW!! no wonder it doesn't look so ripe or fresh!
ReplyDelete